Monday, July 19, 2010

Art practice: "Blue Skies, Green Hills"

On a Sunday afternoon back in March, my wife cajoled me into painting an acrylic piece. I said 'cajoled' because I was a bit lazy to pick up the paint brush... but she prepared all the paints and palette so I had no excuse.

She practiced on her own piece, and I did mine. For reference, we used one of the paintings featured in the book “Art school: A complete painters course” by Patricia Monahan, Patricia Seligman, and Wendy Clouse.
Art School: A Complete Painter's Course
NLBsearchplus | ISBN: 9780600614135

Art practice: "Blue Sky, Green Fields"

This was her paint palette (she bought a "stay wet" palette).
Art practice: "Blue Sky, Green Fields"

I started my piece by sketching the outlines of the hills, in pencil.
Art practice: "Blue Sky, Green Fields" (1 of 7)

The fun part starts: I applied a mix of blue and white to the sky.
Art practice: "Blue Sky, Green Fields" (2 of 7)

Then started on the green hills, working towards darker colours (in Acrylics, you work from dark to light -- but I'm never one to follow the rules strictly):
Art practice: "Blue Sky, Green Fields" (3 of 7)

Art practice: "Blue Sky, Green Fields" (4 of 7)

Art practice: "Blue Sky, Green Fields" (5 of 7)

When the painting was almost complete, I decided the sky needed a touch of gray and some reflection of the green. If not, the sky was a bit too plain looking.
Art practice: "Blue Sky, Green Fields" (6 of 7)

The completed painting. Took about 2 hours, slightly less.
Art practice: "Blue Sky, Green Fields" (7 of 7)

There are several DVDs and books, on "How To Paint", from the Public Libraries. They come with step-by-step illustrations. Check out the "Arts and Recreation" section.

[Also blogged at MyRightBrain.wordpress.com]

4 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really sweet activity to do together with your wife.

    Beautiful art work!

    You forgot to upload the wife's art piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @tabehodai - she wouldn't allow me :)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.