Thursday, August 10, 2006

Blog-Poetry: "The Flag" by Kenneth (acroamatic)

I believe I've just come across a new form of poetry -- Blog-Poetry. That's "Blog-Poetry" (with a hyphen). It's not just poetry published in a blog. I define it as:
  • Poetry
  • Expressed in a blog; AND
  • Where its meaning is dependent on the hyperlinks, included in the poem, to more blogs (i.e. you take away the hyperlinks to blogs, and you lose much of its contextual essence)
The third point is most important.

Ok, read this post from Kenneth and you might understand why. I've taken the liberty to repost it here. I've also re-aligned (centralised) the words (Kenneth, if you don't mind; please let me know otherwise):
The Flag
by Kenneth (deadpoetscave.com)

Yesterday, I took part in a National Day Observance Ceremony. It was simple and solemn.

The flag was raised. The pledge was repeat-after-me. The anthem was played, but not few sang.


Most people don’t know the words, let alone the meaning.


At least I was spared the agony of hearing “ya-yat Singapura”. For goodness sake, it’s rakyat.


The flag. The red and white. The crescent moon and five stars.


Universal brotherhood. Equality of man. Purity. Virtue. A young nation rises. Democracy, Peace, Progress, Justice and Equality.


High ideals.


A nation of paradox, born out of paradox.


We were ejected from Malaysia. They say we forced our way out.


Diverse yet United.


First World, yet Unhappy.


A nation of immigrants, pondering about quitters.


Encouraged to express national fervour but told exactly how to do so.


Hentam someone, not criminal offence. Breach copyright law, criminal offence.


Smile! ‘Cos we’re on the world stage.


But still. I believe, in my heart.


Why?


I am a Singaporean.


It’s as simple as that. I can’t imagine being otherwise.


Love truly is blind.


Singapura, oh Singapura. Pretty flowers bloom for you and me.



Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comment:

  1. Ivan, thank you for appreciating my post. When you commented about blog-poetry, I was going to ask if that was an actual form of poetry. Didn't know you were coining a new phrase! You make my post sound more cheem than it is lah.

    My stuff all cc nc-by-sa licensed unless otherwise stated. Definitely can republish (and remix). Always nice to be notified. =)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.