Tuesday, April 11, 2006

On Board The September Project

It's official -- I'm on the 2006 advisory board of The September Project (TSP).

David and Sarah emailed me with a very sincere invitation. I checked with my bosses. I had to explain what TSP was about, how my involvement was relevant, and the extent of my involvement. The green-light was given. I also understand that TSP will be including more people outside the US as advisors. TSP has truly gone international (which they have in practice two years back).

I'm fond of telling people that TSP is NOT about the USA, or about the tragic attack, or about espousing Western values. Here's what TSP about page says (emphasis mine):
"The September Project is a grassroots effort to get people together on September 11th to talk about issues that matter. September Project events take place in libraries, where all people are welcomed, and where the exchange of information and ideas flourish. The September Project encourages individual communities — neighbors — to make sense of the world together."

My interpretation:
  • TSP is about Libraries playing a central role in facilitating conversations. The topics discussed vary from countries to countries. What's important is dialogue.
  • "It's about community, not geography". Good intents have no borders.
  • Dialogue precedes action.
  • "Change the world, one friend at a time". Understanding precedes acceptance.

You say the "Rambling Librarian" should be called the "Naive Librarian"? Maybe.

But at least I believe in something. : )


Tag:

2 comments:

  1. To consider yourself naive is perhaps self-deprecating... you have the substance that by definition (according to www.answers.com) naive is without: "worldly experience and understanding," as well as "sophistication and critical judgment."

    Ivan, perhaps you make the extreme statement to underscore your point.

    I am learning more about you as we become Internet friends. I have always considered you an optimist...

    "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" and Yes, Ivan there is hope for a world of change, specifically, as you say "one friend at a time."

    September 11th is the day in our lifetime that serves as the benchmark reminder that we are all in this together and that one series of events can have a tremendous ripple effect. How we respond to that event is what determines way we continue on with our lives.

    Through the September Project we have chosen to make our response reflective and meaningful. Becoming your friend has been one great result, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. If memory serves me, it was you who coined the phrase "changing the world, one friend at a time". I'm just borrowing your philosophy.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.